Sunday 13 November 2016

Loughborough Remembers

This time of year always follows a pattern: Diwali, Halloween, Bonfire Night, the fair, and finally, the Remembrance Service. As last year, I went to the service at Queen's Park. From the outset I knew it was going to be an emotional one.

I had left it until the last minute to donate to the British Legion through buying a poppy to wear, so I was relieved to find someone still making them available to people like me. Then, walking into the park via New Street, I was saddened to realise that the good friend I was greeting effusively was having difficulty remembering who I was. Making my way over to the are beside where the Hathern Concert Band play, I was overcome by the music coming from the bandstand, where Loughborough Concert Band were performing the Tallis Fantasia, by Vaughan-Williams (hmm, at breakneck speed), one of my all-time favourite pieces, and one guaranteed to make me feel emotional.

This year, for some reason or other I seemed to have a better view of the service, and all the people taking part, despite standing near the band last year too. Nevertheless, I won't post most of my photos: the backs of people's heads are never that interesting!

This year the service, led by The Revd Wendy Dalrymple, was extremely poignant, as she told the story of Lancelot John Austin Dewar (Jack), the youngest son of Revd David Dewar, vicar of Holy Trinity, and his wife, Annie Maria Irene (nee Hill), who was killed on 13th November 1916 at the Battle of the Ancre, the final push in the Battle of the Somme. Sadly, Jack's brother, David Sonnie, was also killed in WW1, on 22nd March 1918. Revd Dalrymple also spoke briefly of the death last year of Hilda Onions, the sister of John William Godber who died whilst doing his duty as a stretcher bearer on Northern France in 1917.

Observing the two minutes silence, watching the poppies tumble from top of the carillon, was, as ever, moving. During the wreath-laying, the Borough Carilloneur played a variety of pieces, cleverly coming to a close when all the wreaths had been placed against the front of the carillon. The parade into town was accompanied by many, many people, and the Market Place was overflowing. 

Meanwhile, down in London, my youngest was lucky enough to be at the Cenotaph, halfway between it and Westminster. I hope you had as moving an experience as I did this morning.


















Opposite John Storer House before the service

You are welcome to quote passages from any of my posts, with appropriate credit. The correct citation for this looks as follow:

Dyer, Lynne (2016). Loughborough Remembers. [Online] Available from: 
http://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/2016/11/loughborough-remembers.html [Accessed 13 November 2016]


          

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions. Thanks for reading the blog.