Sunday 20 August 2017

Cheltenham Harpury Malvern and Loughborough

I'm just back from a couple of days in Cheltenham visiting the daughter. Had a fabulous time at the Holst Birthplace Museum, and the Wilson Museum in Cheltenham itself, and then an equally great time looking at a church in Hartpury and walking up the hills around Little Malvern.

I am, however, a little irritated with myself for not checking the area out as much beforehand as I could have done, as I missed something really special! That said, I was so pleased to happen upon some interesting things that reminded me of Loughborough!

Inside Holst's birthplace there was some lace on display - reminded me of Heathcoat and Boden's lace manufactury on what is now Market Street, the recipient of a coveted Leicestershire County Counil green plaque award in 2017.


Then, in the Wilson Museum I was thrilled to see loads of examples of the work of Ernest Gimson and his friends and fellow arts and crafts artists the Barnselys as I'd forgotten that after having been born and brought up in Leicestershire, Ernest moved to the Cotswolds!




The town centre of Cheltenham also boasted a lovely small fountain, and a much larger, more extravagant one



The war memorials were quite poignant, and the area quite blooming.



Meanwhile, over in Hartpury, having walked around the church and churchyard, and seen the the beehive, we spotted some long-horned cattle

Longhorn calf

Travelling on to Malvern, it was a surprise to find some pink granite on the hills. 


It was a delight to happen upon the reservoir



And a real thrill to see, far in the distance, and obelisk!



What I didn't realise while I was there was that I was so close to the church where the Elgar family are buried. I do like to have a look around churchyards, just to how they differ around the country, but I didn't make it to this particular church. Edward Elgar, the composer who created a piece especially for the opening of our Carillon in 1923 is one of the Elgar's buried here. His music, Carillon Chimes is on display in the Charnwood Museum, having been found tucked away in a cupboard somewhere for many years.  


By the time we got to the little town of Great Malvern, all we had energy for was dinner. Best go back there some time and be a bit more prepared!


You are welcome to quote passages from any of my posts, with appropriate credit. The correct citation for this looks as follow:

Dyer, Lynne (2017). Bells, fountains and courtyards. Available from:  https://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/2017/08/cheltenham-harpury-malvern-and.html [Accessed 20 August 2017]

Take down policy:
I post no pictures that are not my own, unless I have express permission so to do. All text is my own, and not copied from any other information sources, printed or electronic, unless identified and credited as such. If you find I have posted something in contravention of these statements, or if there are photographs of you which you would prefer not to be here, please contact me at the address listed on the About Me page, and I will remove these.
Thank you for reading this blog. 


Lynne 















No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions. Thanks for reading the blog.