Sunday 7 January 2018

Walking the university

When I first arrived in Loughborough all those years ago, it was to attend an interview at the university for a place on a course. Arriving by train was an experience: all that derelict land between Burder Street and the railway station, and the long, long walk up Nottingham Road and on to the university campus.

Although I continued to live in Loughborough after graduating, I never went back onto campus, but read in the local paper, and heard about many of the changes happening on the campus as the university grew in size and reputation. However, more recently I have started to visit the campus, initially to attend meetings of the Loughborough Archaeological and Historical Society (ironically, who now meet at Knightthorpe Methodist Church), and then to attend my daughter's postgraduate award ceremony.

Hunting around on the internet, and talking to a friend, led me to a series of walk leaflets that the university produced (written, I believe, by my friend) to encourage folk to discover the campus and its buildings. Although there is no public right of way across the campus, the university is used by many local people taking a stroll, and including school children as a shortcut, so how nice to be able to do this and learn something about the university at the same time.

I recently had occasion to visit the Brockington Building as this is where my daughter is based whilst she furthers her studies. When I was a student, I didn't use Brockington, but we also walked through Schofield, and that brought back loads of memories of my interview, and the old library journals reserve stack that used to be there.

Today, a beautifully sunny day, my youngest and I took one of the walk leaflets onto campus and had an interesting and informative time following it. We chose Walk Five: The Village Walk, which took us past the Pilkington Library (which was where I was taught in my final year as a student, and which was named after one of the Chairmen of Pilkington Glass, whose factory in New Inn I remember very well, as it was on our route from our home to my grandparents, was close to where my father worked, and even closer to where my cousin lived - knocked down and now a housing development). 

We also saw the Elvyn Richards halls, which was where I spent my interview night, and where my best friend at uni lived, along with Cayley, Royce, Rutherford, Telford, Faraday and Whitworth, which were started to be built around 1959. These halls have been joined by some newer ones - Robert Bakewell, John Phillips and the new Hazlerigg and Rutland halls. 

So pleased to see that the Purple Onion shop is still there, but looks a lot bigger than I remember it!! Along Margaret Keay Road, we also spotted the Medical Centre where I spent a week in my second year. From here we glanced over towards Ashby Road where they appear to be doing some work; across the football pitch to the Hazlegrave Building, and up the road to the back of the old library and the EHB. 

Taking University Road, we immediately turned and walked towards the old gardener's cottage and the Garden of Remembrance, before walking back to where we started at the Pilkington Library.

Here's some links to the walk leaflets, so you can have a go yourself:

Walk One: The Fountain Walk

Walk Two: The Towers Walk

Walk Three: The Walled Garden Walk

Walk Four: Paddock Walk

Walk Five: The Village Walk

Walk Six: The Holywell Walk

Walk Seven: The Olympic Torch Walk     

And here are some photos from our lovely walk:


No Public Right of Way Loughborough University waymarker

Elvyn Richards Hall Loughborough University

Weather Station Loughborough University

Sculpture Loughborough University

Pilkington Library Loughborough University

Loughborough University

Loughborough University

Sculpture Loughborough University

Automotive Engineering Loughborough University

Sir Frank Gibb Building Loughborough University

Water Pumps Loughborough University

Loughborough University

Loughborough University Hall of Residence

Burleigh Brook near TickleBelly Park Loughborough University

Robert Bakewell Hall Loughborough University

Hall of Residence Loughborough University

Loughborough University

Loughborough University

Hall of Residence Loughborough University

Hall of Residence Loughborough University

Hall of Residence Loughborough University

Whitworth Tower Hall of Residence Loughborough University

Purple Onion Loughborough University

Sculpture Loughborough University

Sculpture Loughborough University

Gardener's Cottage Burleigh Hall Loughborough University

Garden of Remembrance Loughborough University

Gardener's Cottage Burleigh Hall Loughborough University
  
You are welcome to quote passages from any of my posts, with appropriate credit. The correct citation for this looks as follow:

Dyer, Lynne (2017). Walking the university. Available fromhttps://lynneaboutloughborough.blogspot.com/2018/01/walking-university.html [Accessed 7 January 2018]

Take down policy:
I post no pictures that are not my own, unless I have express permission so to do. All text is my own, and not copied from any other information sources, printed or electronic, unless identified and credited as such. If you find I have posted something in contravention of these statements, or if there are photographs of you which you would prefer not to be here, please contact me at the address listed on the About Me page, and I will remove these.
Thank you for reading this blog. 


Lynne  


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have found this post interesting or have any questions about any of the information in it do please leave a comment below. In order to answer your question, I must publish your query here, and then respond to it here. If your information is private or sensitive, and you don't wish to have it on public display, it might be a better idea to email me using the address which is on the About Me page, using the usual substitutions. Thanks for reading the blog.